It is currently October 5th, 2024, 6:00 pm

installing aftermarket efi on your outboard

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 1:05 pm   

this is a very good thread and relates to mercury and Yamaha also . not only omc . do your home work before you buy anything

this is a must read

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... -your-help!

1981 charger dl v8 sold

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 1:44 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I can't see where this would ever be worth the aggravation. Unless it's an all out race situation where you've done the rest and there are no carbs big enough to handle the job. Carbs are smart...efi only does what you tell it to....building the fuel curve alone is the most time consuming part I would think. It gives me the willies just thinking about it lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 5:40 pm   
Team Member

I stopped reading that thread a few pages back. They are over complicating it, and trying to do it on the cheap. It is t hard, but it isn't cheap. Basic fuel tables are simple math, after that the magic happens.... I am scared of carbs. It is all what you know

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 5:43 pm   
Team Member

That tps system sounds ridiculous where you have to change the curve based on load,,,,

I prefer to DRIVE my boats... lol.

Now to the dudes that can dial this stuff in. You have my respect.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 6:08 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Supermitchie wrote:
That tps system sounds ridiculous where you have to change the curve based on load,,,,

I owned one of those systems (MADefi) and once the curve is built there's a Lean/Rich knob you can use to adjust the curve if need be. It's building the curve/cold start/hot start...and making it all work with parts that weren't really designed to fit anything in particular. It was REALLY fun to play with and looks bad ass....but like you at the end of the day I want to turn the key and go boating so it wasn't for me. I would still love to have it in the garage so we could talk about how cool it will be when it runs (never) lol.

I think from a Yamaha stand point you could run factory manifolds/injectors and use a Brucado merc box to run it all if you needed to play with fuel curves....doesn't have the cool factor of the MAD stuff though.

That being said...if you're into that stuff (as V8 may well be) than if you find an engine with the curve already in it...buy it lol. Tweaking has got to be more fun than starting from scratch.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 6:41 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
Supermitchie wrote:

I owned one of those systems (MADefi) and once the curve is built there's a Lean/Rich knob you can use to adjust the curve if need be. It's building the curve/cold start/hot start...and making it all work with parts that weren't really designed to fit anything in particular. It was REALLY fun to play with and looks bad ass....but like you at the end of the day I want to turn the key and go boating so it wasn't for me. I would still love to have it in the garage so we could talk about how cool it will be when it runs (never) lol.

I think from a Yamaha stand point you could run factory manifolds/injectors and use a Brucado merc box to run it all if you needed to play with fuel curves....doesn't have the cool factor of the MAD stuff though.

That being said...if you're into that stuff (as V8 may well be) than if you find an engine with the curve already in it...buy it lol. Tweaking has got to be more fun than starting from scratch.

so... dok.... how hard would it be to mount a merc efi horn a yamaha? :lol: :D

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 7:54 pm   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
Supermitchie wrote:

so... dok.... how hard would it be to mount a merc efi horn a yamaha? :lol: :D

Go for it Boomer...what's the worst thing that could happen...one less Yamaha around! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 30th, 2013, 9:02 pm   

RBT wrote:
I stopped reading that thread a few pages back. They are over complicating it, and trying to do it on the cheap. It is t hard, but it isn't cheap. Basic fuel tables are simple math, after that the magic happens.... I am scared of carbs. It is all what you know

RBT I agree 100 %. buy the way the srv is one great performance v hull . you are welcome to come down and take it for a rip anytime. may 24 spring 2014 . the boat is free. I will be driving the seebold or the ae-21 .
if I was to buy an outboard tomorrow it would be a 300 xs . i run and work on omc outboards because its a great hobby and you have to make these omc outboards run, you have to build them to run. its a lot of work and that is why I do it.

ps I love my 2001 280 2.5 . ted speedmaster had his hands on this motor and runs flawlessly I would not trade this motor or sell it for anything

1981 charger dl v8 sold

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 12:45 am   
Team Member

how much for the 280 mark lol

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 1:15 am   
Team Member

This stuff fascinates me but every time I see a thread like that one it seems like it has an element of voodoo. It comes down to experience and money to master this stuff.

Is the MAD EFI really only tuneable to a set range (ie light loads or heavy) and you have to tinker with it when you change props as one poster said?

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha