It is currently October 5th, 2024, 6:02 pm

94' 200 pro-V w Excel bolt ons.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 11:03 pm   

So as per the Doc's orders, I got home from the cottage today and stripped down my 225 Excel that had the hole in the block (got it as partial trade for a motor) I have the heads off and cleaning them up 6k701 are the head numbers (to make sure they are the right ones to use) one cylinder has some minor scarring from a broken rod allowing the piston to bump it lightly. I'm gonna clean any sharp edges off the damaged area and polish it to make sure nothing will break off once installed on my pro-v. The carbs are in great shape, I left everything from the oil metering arm (my own description as I don't know what that part is called) and all the hoses and both fuel pumps are all still attached. I am going to rebuild the carbs to be on the safe side, pulling the exhaust from the midsection shortly and then clean up and put all the parts away that I'm not using.
In case anyone needs anything off this motor (doc you have first dibbs as I had told you yesterday) plz don't be shy to ask...the block I believe is useless as there is a window 7"x1" on the starboard side of the motor and 2"x1" on the port side. The pistons all look good, even the broken piston doesn't look bad. Its a shame because the motor was spotless inside and out less the busted rod.
It has a 9.5/10 excel cowl and the foot is great mechanically but has scraped a rock or two...the skeg from the nose of the foot to about 3" from the bottom has what we would call curb rash if it was a rim on a car...not broken but ugly as shit.
I'm anxious but nervous to yank the powerhead off my pro-v...there are a shitload more wires and plugs etc than my usual omc motors that I can take off and put back on blindfolded.
I am ordering head gaskets and a base gasket tomorrowbut hopefully someone can shed some insight on whether or not it would be worth it to buy some carbon reeds and if so...which ones would work best for this application? Yammy's have always been secretly admired from a distance but I have never owned one, until now but I have never worked on one and don't know the first thing about them.

Anyhow..I'm working on getting some pics up of my Canadian made Voyager with the gay pink windshield lol (some of you from fbc have expressed a fondness for them..but its kinda bugging me, I am trying to give it time in hopes I will learn to appreciate it...only time will tell.)
The interior is actually in pretty good shape except for the square seats in the bow with storage under them...the plywood rotted and is cracked severely because my buddy's rediculously hot wife (who has an identical twin..and yes ill try to get pics of them too haha) stepped in onto it and went through.
The back bench is coming apart at the seams but no actual tears in any of the fabric. I found a guy in Gatineau Quebec...(probably Max's neighbor lol) is going to redo the entire interior for me over the winter. Iam going with white black and red carbon fibre style vinyl and I have a buddy with an embroidery business who will do all the seat backs and the bench with the Hydrostream logo.
Also hoping I can buy a motor from the Doc over the winter..to put around 300 ponies up the ass of the voyager. I am pulling the carpet and maybe the floor as soon as the season is over. I don't think there is anything wrong but rather invest in a new floor and be able to see underneath before any problems start and catch it before. I am absolutely in love with this boat!
I currently have a land and sea 4" hydraulic jackplate I drained it and refilles it and its working better but just bought a 6" hydraulic from a guy in town and wilk be oicking it up this week hopefully.
I don't know the first thing about proper setback for a voyager or proper set up etc. Any insight from anuone who has one or have experience with them..I would be grateful for any help.
I was having problems getting it on the pad the first weekend owning it and couldn't get more than 54mph out of it Today i hit 62 on my speedo (forgot gps in my truck..but speedo is fairly accurate) I was at 5300rpm. I ran out of lake but it was still climbing. On the return pass I got back to 61 and a side gust of wind along with a fairly decent sized rogue wake from a ghost boat made my front end do what seemed like a pensulum swing and after puckering my asshole on the third swing I realized I couldn't steer out of it Nd trimmed down and backed off my pedal. The lake was too busy and I was a little gunshy after that so I dodnt try much more. I nees a lot more seat time to get used to this boat before trying to be a hero.
Sorry for the novel..but anyone with advice on any of the above..thanks in advance.
Patrick

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 1:53 pm   

ill take your scrap block when your done with it ;) ,, :D , dont let idvette see that pink glass comment :lol: the 6k7 heads are the good ones there are 6k701 and 6k700, , the excel carbs will have staggered jetting so your going to want to make sure you have that correct when you have them apart...

once your mods are done , get that new jack on there, try some props,, and keeper wet side down, 8-)

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 6:20 pm   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
dont let idvette see that pink glass comment :lol:

I won't be hurt if you get rid of it Pat, but it's a purist thing. The way it was is the way it should be in my eyes, especially with a rare option such as that. Jmho. If anything happens to mine, I won't rest until I find another!!

PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 9:58 pm   

idvette wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
dont let idvette see that pink glass comment :lol:

I won't be hurt if you get rid of it Pat, but it's a purist thing. The way it was is the way it should be in my eyes, especially with a rare option such as that. Jmho. If anything happens to mine, I won't rest until I find another!!

Tell you what, if I do decide to change colour, I am acyually going tobhave new glass made rathervthan cheap out and put tints on it...if I do you have everyone here on HPBC that my pink windows are yours as a gift for bastardizing my boat (absolutely free...if I do decide to do it) then you can sleep easy knowing you have spares!
Boomer, as per PM I'm not sure if my pm got back to you I was a bit out of town on a roof all day. You can have my midsection for future prospects...kinda like an nhl trade. One day I may call on you do swing me a favor on a price on something you have (within reason and the same general cost of what the mid and teim would cost) I still want the 100 bucks for the 703 controls tho! And if you want the mid you gotta pay the shipping for that or we can meet up sometime for you to pick it up.

Oh and yes you can have the block once I'm done. I do want to keep some of the internals..just let me know anything you specifically need. The block does have a massive hole in it.

Did anyone mention what reeds I should use?

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 9:42 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I'm with you on the Pink....if you don't like it...lose it.

Don't forget about the exhaust divider plate on the back of the motor. As far as reeds go use either TDR'S (my preference) or Chris Carson's.

As Boomer mentioned the jetting is staggered in the Excel carbs so try and keep everything in the same spot. Along with the jetting the head pocket sizes are staggered so you will see much different compression readings from top to bottom.

I'd be interested in the crank if you want to part with it.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 9:44 am   
Team Member

When I took the stock reeds off my 88 Excel, they were perfect. 24 years later.

I put Carson reeds in and found no improvement. No loss either.

I've got the stock reeds and a set of Boysen's as well - left over. Not sure if they fit the ProV or not?

You'll probably need a gasket set

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 10:19 am   

that is solid :D ill pay shipping no problem,, on anything left over, :lol: its for my own R&D ,, i might know someone looking for oil tank parts , his tank isnt pumping oil and he's filling the tank under the cowl manually :? , i have to go have a look and see what he needs but im sure he will new a pump or something,,ill get back to you on that one,.

ill take the mid and put it on my excel so it will be all gold purdy and stock appearing again :D , then i can build my mod off the prov mid dok gave me last winter :D

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 10:26 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Boomer, I've got TONS of oil tanks (thanks to Top Gun)...you can take what you need.

Tom...reeds are for safety..I've never seen any gains from direct reed replacement either but I've seen LOTS of chipped steel reeds (mostly in Opti's though). My 225 has stock reeds in it too and has had the piss ran out of it and they are still perfect but I'm cheap and lazy. I'll change the reeds when I take it apart though..just so I can say I have reeds...and be all cool like...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 5:29 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
Boomer, I've got TONS of oil tanks (thanks to Top Gun)...you can take what you need.

Tom...reeds are for safety..I've never seen any gains from direct reed replacement either but I've seen LOTS of chipped steel reeds (mostly in Opti's though). My 225 has stock reeds in it too and has had the piss ran out of it and they are still perfect but I'm cheap and lazy. I'll change the reeds when I take it apart though..just so I can say I have reeds...and be all cool like...

sweet thank you dok, ill let you know when i get ahold of the guy who asked for my help.. .. i can bring you that coil back also,, i havent tested it on the excel,, i had a thought but havent looked into it,, i was thinking the excel coil might not work because of the resistor,, i didnt check to see if the 9.9 has a resistor or not i dont think it does :idea: ;) :?: or if it matters

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 5:42 pm   

and pat we can meet up sometime i'll grab the mid and block and whatever is attached to it,, if you dont want to split the case you can leave it together,, i can deliver the crank to dok he's just up the road from me..,, you can mail the 703 controls ill pay for them no problem. i need them asap. ,