It is currently October 5th, 2024, 1:35 pm

56 160 psi head

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 4:21 pm   

Have been reading as much as I can find about 56ci OMC's. I read one of Hounddog's post regarding the T850 rule that allowed the racer's to run 160 psi head, in the post he said that the 49ci 75hp would run down a 56 on a long straight but adding some compression made it more even racing. So I'm curious, how did this work to even the racing, did it add some top end or more grunt out of the corner? Do you need to back any timing out? Or do riching the main's allow you guys to still run 19 degrees?
Also I've been thinking of giving racing a try, but wonder how competive I can make my Voodoo with only having the big lower unit? Any comments welcome, just weighing my options.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 6:05 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

First...come out and try racing...you'll have fun and someone will likely loan you a small case. IMO it's a must have to make the boat drivable.

The 56's have a lot of grunt but whoever gets out front has a bigger advantage than any one motor set up (aside from an all out SST60...) stockish to stockish if you're out front in clean water you're tough to catch.

Lastly...come out and try racing...it will effectively change your whole outlook on boating...:)

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 10:18 pm   
Team Member

BigGull wrote:
the 49ci 75hp would run down a 56 on a long straight but adding some compression made it more even racing.

When the 56 OMC was first tested in EP class. Rob Gordon ran a 100% stock [low compression] fishing motor on his VooDoo. They ran Le Mans starts. Rob would always beat all the 49's off the dock and in most cases was the leader after the first lap. The top running 49's would then catch and pass him. When we started T class, had to find an easy way to make all of the OMC's equal in performance. Initially this was done by changing heads on the motors. In 2012 the engine rules were changed to allow more changes to the motors. It now takes a very good 49 to compete with any of the 56's.
The 56 is the most common motor in T850. It is far less costly to make a competitive motor from any 56 compared to the 49.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 11:24 pm   

Thanks for responses. I thought the 56 must be a good choice as so many seem to be using them.