It is currently October 6th, 2024, 2:22 pm

Relocating the battery

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 12:21 am   

I want to move my battery from the transom to under the bow for easier access. My seats are a large insert and there is not very good access once the seats are in. Also the extra weight moved to the front is good.

I have 4awg power wire for car audio use I was planning to use. Is that going to be large enough? I am guessing the cables will end up being around 10-12' long.

any advise is appreciated.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 7:15 am   
Team Member

4 awg will be just fine. It will handle anything you can throw at it in an outboard powered boat. I've been into car audio since the early nineties, my biggest system so far had the capability of drawing almost 200 amps. For that one I ran 1/0 to my distribution block then 4 to the amps. But every other system was wired with 4 throughout. If you look it up a proper 4 awg wire can handle up to 946 amps before it starts to fuse together, but for safety and peace if mind I wouldn't load it any more than a third of that. I had some stinger 4awg fuse up on me once, couldn't believe it, it was with my 200 amp system in my '80 Corvette, that's when I went to 1/0.

Profile Send private message