It is currently June 21st, 2024, 4:14 pm

Looking for information on Yamaha model number 62F...50 HP

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 11:33 pm   
Team Member

Some info from the Ron Hill site,
Post From French Phil
Both short & long were available. What boat will you pair with the 50 ?
French Phil, I may have really lucked out with this power head. We race T Class in this area. Our rules are a little different which gives me an interesting option. We normally race
a 70 CES yamaha on a Critchfield in T850 class. To help the T750 class grow , we planned to run a 50D Tohatsu on a different boat. Now if this 50G Yamaha power head fits on the 70 CES mid, then I only need to change the powerhead on the T850 boat. Our Fair Competition Rule will allow this 50 hp in the T750 class eventhough it is a larger cubic inch. The T850 boat is over 150 lbs heavier than a normal T750, so it may not be competitive. But it is worth a try. Plus it gives us an additional boat a new T750 racer can try. Plan B would be to sell the motor to a Thunder Cat racer up here.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 8:02 am   
Team Member

Plan B... what does the powerhead consist of? Is it everything to drop and go? Elec or manual start? I guess you don't know yet, but does it fit the 6h mid?

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 10:05 am   
Team Member

Andrew, it will be a complete drop on. I will not be a problem making it a pull start. There are lots of pull start parts for these on the east coast. So far I just have the long block. The information I have so far suggest it would not fit on your tower. The crank needs larger drive shaft for sure. I will know better once I get the parts book.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 10:53 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Andrew4ce wrote:
Plan B... what does the powerhead consist of? Is it everything to drop and go? Elec or manual start? I guess you don't know yet, but does it fit the 6h mid?

Geiger/Top Gun has or can create a 15" mid and I've got a couple small gearcases...if you wanna build yourself one...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 11:41 am   
Team Member

Rick, now you really got me thinking. How difficult was it to make up your yamaha shortened long shaft mid? What drive shaft did you use or did you shorten a long shaft drive shaft? I have that nose heavy Rapid Craft and I was planning on running a long shaft on to get the prop shaft a little lower in the water to raise the nose when the boat runs. Now your 16 inch style mid maybe the ticket on that boat. And if it doesn't work I can use that motor on my Boston Whaler.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 11:54 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Rick, now you really got me thinking. How difficult was it to make up your yamaha shortened long shaft mid? What drive shaft did you use or did you shorten a long shaft drive shaft? I have that nose heavy Rapid Craft and I was planning on running a long shaft on to get the prop shaft a little lower in the water to raise the nose when the boat runs. Now your 16 inch style mid maybe the ticket on that boat. And if it doesn't work I can use that motor on my Boston Whaler.

The mid was done by Gig...and it turned out PERFECT. It bolts right up to a P50 swivel. I can't remember if we shortened the driveshaft or a stock short worked....I kinda think we cut a long one down because I had some extra machining done on the mid and ended up with the driveshaft being too long. I think everyone remembers the DIY spline cutting I did before waterford last year with my angle grinder :).

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 12:03 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
[ I think everyone remembers the DIY spline cutting I did before waterford last year with my angle grinder :).

And how long did you look at it before firing up the grinder! :lol:

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 12:08 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

LittleCharger wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
[ I think everyone remembers the DIY spline cutting I did before waterford last year with my angle grinder :).

And how long did you look at it before firing up the grinder! :lol:

Surprisingly not long lol...hmmm those splines look to be about the same width as my cut off wheel......zip...lol. I even had my safety sandles on...