It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 5:11 am

'79 Sidewinder

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 8:56 am   
Team Member

Zonka, those are sweet pics!! I only ever had my 17' Panther/200 combo to 70, so your numbers are amazing! ... although, I never tried taking it out on a super windy day! :shock: ...and of course Zonka in the driver seat of any boat adds 2-5mph every time!! :D

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:32 am   
Team Member

KAL Racing wrote:
Zonka wrote:
New speed this weekend at 72.8mph in some good chop on monday!!!

Needed the chop to really fly but past 72 it started getting realllly loose, like nothing ive experienced before, and I actually didnt feel comfortable in it lol. Had my lifeline, srp sleeves, helmet, and killswitch all on... It was cold! Really easy to drive up to 71 though, crazy how much that 1mph made and not having a nosecone makes a huge difference in handling

Motor did not have much grip at that speed, if I had photos it was probably just skipping on top of the waves. Add a nosecone and it wont be as fast, lift the engine any higher and no water pressure, have anyone heavier then me drive and no bowlift... I actually think this is close to the fastest this boat can go with a stock 2L 150 and full interior...

Nice 72.8 mph ... Love the air shots :)

And it cost less than a buck fifty in gas!!!!!!! LOL.
Nice numbers.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 11:38 am   
Team Member

Zonka wrote:
it started getting realllly loose, like nothing ive experienced before, and I actually didnt feel comfortable in it lol.[/img]

Wow..you actually felt out of control that's novel for a guy who spends more time in the air with his tboat then on the water! :lol:

Impressive numbers for the winder....congrats

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 12:19 pm   

Zonka, friggin' rights man that winder flys!!!, i get that squerly feeling around,50 then again (worse)at 65 in mine,..... lol. :lol: alott to be said about how well your boat is setup, great job buddy! .....i think a 260 would be a great motor too try on a winder..my excel is a little too much weight i think the 260 is a little lighter, and way faster,, DO IT UP!!!!

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 12:36 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

sweet Zonka !

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 1:33 pm   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
And it cost less than a buck fifty in gas!!!!!!! LOL.
Nice numbers.

Yes! I was waiting for someone to notice how fuel efficient it is! :lol:

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 1:48 pm   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
Zonka, friggin' rights man that winder flys!!!, i get that squerly feeling around,50 then again (worse)at 65 in mine,..... lol. :lol: alott to be said about how well your boat is setup, great job buddy! .....i think a 260 would be a great motor too try on a winder..my excel is a little too much weight i think the 260 is a little lighter, and way faster,, DO IT UP!!!!

Get the motor up, that was the key for me. I'll measure my engine height this weekend and post my setup.
..and when I can afford it I just might, just to be that sleeper boat in lake racer drags! :o lol

LC, got some impressive numbers in the delta too! Testing in short stints unlike on beaver lake hahaha

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 2:05 pm   

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z420311395

96 225 3.0L get on it :lol: ,,,I would love too see your setup, i saw a winder in port carling on a trailer with a 2.0l thought it was yours but it had different seats. and a 135. and no setup..lol similar paint

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 6:36 pm   
Team Member

This is my recent setup for the speed I posted above

- Stock XR2 I rebuilt in 2010 after cracking the top crank bearing
- Removed exhaust can liner and drilled exhaust
- 4" CMC manual jack plate raised to max height
- I believe mounting bolts are on the second hole, 1 from the top
- Propshaft 3" below
- Gear ratio 1.87:1 (just measured and 1 full turn of the prop is between 1 3/4 - 2 turns of the driveshaft)
- 14 1/2" x 26p Chopper
- 5800-6000rpm
- water pressure 10-15psi
- GPS 72.8mph
- Consistent 70-71 depending on water conditions

This is the setup I had a few years ago when I just managed to see 70.0mph

Pretty much the same except
- 1.87:1 CLE
- 6000-6200rpm
- water pressure 20-25psi
- GPS 70.0mph
- Consistent 68-69 depending on water and very easy to drive

Also tried running this setup with the motor mounted one hole higher (max height, about 2 1/4" below) but it lost a significant amount of bow lift and was extremely noticeable with a passenger so I lowered it down one. None of the props I tested where faster then the 26 either. 29p SRX I could only spin it around 5600, 28p small ear didn't have enough bow lift, cleavers were slower as well around 67mph

Old pic before the transom and engine rebuilds. Its mounted pretty low but it shows the nice CLE I had lol

Although the CLE was quiet a bit slower its a much safer and better handling setup. The skeg designs are quiet different and along with the nosecone the CLE is a much easier setup to drive, although the non-swept skeg does pull to the side when decelerating a lot harder but thats not a big deal. The holeshot also felt better with the CLE. Not sure why the slight loss of rpm's though if the gear ratios are the same, nosecone causing some extra slip maybe?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 6:50 pm   

Cool boat and set-up...the pull you are feeling at deceleration...is usually associated with unloading the soft mounts. So consider swaping to hard mounts...super huge handling improvement :) Also the CLE is intended for surface application and no positive trim so it would certainly slow the boat down on drag coef alone....yes there are also huge benefits to a cupped skeg...again adding the a torque tab will be another benefit in the handling dept...but I would add tha at the same time as the mounts....also the XR2's are great motors...a little heavier than 200's of the day...but sure are economical to run...what year is yours...1985 or 1986?