It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:53 am

1987 Canadian Edition Voo-Doo

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 9:49 am   

Picked this beauty up last night. It is my third Canadian Edition Voo-Doo, first one being a mini and second being the Yellow and Red one.

I am excited to say the least. I have been out of boats for six years and looking forward to getting back in the saddle. Going to leave things as is for the remainder of the season, then hopefully I can shoe horn her into Robbies for a total overhaul.

Last edited by voo-doo_child on August 9th, 2016, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 7:51 am   
Team Member

Nice!! Lots of summer left still as well. Now for the obligatory question - will you race it?

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 12:45 pm   

Nice voodoo, she looks pretty clean!

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 8:57 am   

Thanks guys! I am pretty happy with it. At 29 years old she is in need of some love but the gel is in pretty good shape and that was the main reason I bought it. I looked for years for something clean and unmolested,the funny thing is this boat started its life on Six Mile and now has returned.

I will be doing a full restoration of the hull over the winter; floor transom etc. Will be using Murph's "Gelabrasion" techniques to bring back the shine. Still figuring out motor, I have a half built SS OMC but currently thinking late model Yamaha 70 for reliability.

As far as racing goes I am unsure. I will be building this boat to be strong and fast, so there is potential to race. That being said the old style Voo Doo is not the ideal platform for circle racing but I may give it a shot.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 6:37 pm   
Team Member

How does it run with the current motor? With the current T750 boats running 57 to 62 mph, it likely is too slow to race. Colours would work with either Evinrude or Yamaha. We have run both an SST 60 long shaft- nitro foot on one. it ran over 70 mph. We also ran a 70 Yamaha with the 55 hp foot. It ran mid 60's. We wanted to try a metal bracket to eliminate the step in the bottom of the hull. With everyone running large setback I think the boat may drive better without that step. I would run an oval port- nitro combo. The older 20 inch OMC 70 hp mids take the SST 60 motor mounts. Get a base plate from Kevi and this is an 80 mph boat!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 9:45 am   

It currently runs like shit. I am removing the jackplate this weekend. My guess is that in its current setup it runs about 42 mph.

The boat is also filled with flotation foam. I am going to start the painstaking process of removal this evening. There is also a stereo, gauges, some angle iron acting as planning plates and a speedo pick up right on the pad that I do not want and will be removing as soon as possible.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2016, 11:33 pm   
Team Member

voo-doo_child wrote:
Thanks guys! I am pretty happy with it. At 29 years old she is in need of some love but the gel is in pretty good shape and that was the main reason I bought it. I looked for years for something clean and unmolested,the funny thing is this boat started its life on Six Mile and now has returned.

I will be doing a full restoration of the hull over the winter; floor transom etc. Will be using Murph's "Gelabrasion" techniques to bring back the shine. Still figuring out motor, I have a half built SS OMC but currently thinking late model Yamaha 70 for reliability.

As far as racing goes I am unsure. I will be building this boat to be strong and fast, so there is potential to race. That being said the old style Voo Doo is not the ideal platform for circle racing but I may give it a shot.

VD Child, where are you on 6ML?...I was out in VD ~6pm today, came across a blue/white stripe VD running nice to top of Crooked Bay, though it was P Sladek, was not. I'm up Sat/Sun, on Long Lake, 3rd cottage on right up on rock face. We might dunk Critch tomorrow evening.

Erik

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 7:42 am   

I was up at a buddies on Six Mile on Friday, we started taking the jack plate off and ended up de-rigging the entire boat. The wood was so rotten I was able to pull most of the floor out by hand. I am going to be restoring the hull and putting back together over the next few months. I will post picks of the progress.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 12:05 pm   

Did some work over the past week.
de-rigged, sold motor, etc.

Some asshat sprayed home insulation foam into 75% of the boat so i have started the arduous task of removal... about 1/3 of the way there. Hopeful to have complete in next week or two.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 12:13 pm   

I will be following this journal. Good stuff.

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored