Carson wrote:
Yah more checkmate friends!

Yaaaayyyyyy!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 9:42 am   

Looks great! Welcome

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 10:54 am   

May 9th if you're interested in running Honey Harbour with your boat, come on out! I'll be up there all day scooting around.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 12:45 pm   

allstock wrote:
Nice! Boat looks great! How fast will it be? Faster than you think... hahaha. I would bet 82-85 with a little set up. Set that bitch back 12+" for top end.

Funny you say that because I've been emailing Bob's Machine Shop about getting their 4" setback brackets to put between the transom and 8" Action Jack. Of course they want to sell me the 12" Action Jack and are discouraging the setback brackets, but I see jack plates on the back of setback brackets all the time. In fact, on the CMC jack plates the only difference between the 5.5" model and the 10" model is that the 10" has 4.5" setback brackets pre-installed. I'm currently still in the process of rigging the motor, but as I go I am leaving enough slack (or what I think will be enough slack) in everything to go back as much as 16" so I have room to tinker.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 12:47 pm   

FluKy15 wrote:
May 9th if you're interested in running Honey Harbour with your boat, come on out! I'll be up there all day scooting around.

Sounds like fun & thanks for the invite, but my motor's not rigged yet and I won't have time to finish it up until May 9th. :(

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 2:04 pm   

CheckM8 wrote:
allstock wrote:
Nice! Boat looks great! How fast will it be? Faster than you think... hahaha. I would bet 82-85 with a little set up. Set that bitch back 12+" for top end.

Funny you say that because I've been emailing Bob's Machine Shop about getting their 4" setback brackets to put between the transom and 8" Action Jack. Of course they want to sell me the 12" Action Jack and are discouraging the setback brackets, but I see jack plates on the back of setback brackets all the time. In fact, on the CMC jack plates the only difference between the 5.5" model and the 10" model is that the 10" has 4.5" setback brackets pre-installed. I'm currently still in the process of rigging the motor, but as I go I am leaving enough slack (or what I think will be enough slack) in everything to go back as much as 16" so I have room to tinker.

I don't think I would put Bob's set back bracket on with a jackplate either because they are just two-piece brackets. I put a Stainless marine set back "box" on mine because its sturdy as hell and adds flotation because it's sealed. What are you planning to do with your new toy? If you want to tube/kneeboard/wakeboard at 20mph or less you have to stick a few kids in the front section to keep it on plane with a bunch of setback. I've got 13" on mine and always found it was a good balance.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 5:00 pm   

allstock wrote:
CheckM8 wrote:
allstock wrote:

I don't think I would put Bob's set back bracket on with a jackplate either because they are just two-piece brackets. I put a Stainless marine set back "box" on mine because its sturdy as hell and adds flotation because it's sealed. What are you planning to do with your new toy? If you want to tube/kneeboard/wakeboard at 20mph or less you have to stick a few kids in the front section to keep it on plane with a bunch of setback. I've got 13" on mine and always found it was a good balance.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the Stainless Marine setback box instead of the setback brackets. Otherwise it will be used for waterskiing, tubing, and wakeboarding to a fair extent, but otherwise just general boating around with occasional high speed runs. That being the case I thought I'd at least try it with the 8" setback that it has now and see how it runs. Do you have any sense of what the difference will be in top end speed between 8" setback and 13" setback?

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 5:04 pm   

allstock wrote:
CheckM8 wrote:
allstock wrote:

Here are the fixed setback brackets I was looking at:
http://www.bobsmachine.com/4-Fixed-Setb ... 404000.htm

There is one for each side but they are not otherwise 2-piece brackets - they are two 1-piece brackets. Perhaps that's what you meant.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 8:53 pm   

CheckM8 wrote:
allstock wrote:
CheckM8 wrote:
allstock wrote:

Here are the fixed setback brackets I was looking at:
http://www.bobsmachine.com/4-Fixed-Setb ... 404000.htm

There is one for each side but they are not otherwise 2-piece brackets - they are two 1-piece brackets. Perhaps that's what you meant.

Yes those are the ones I was thinking of. Personally I prefer the one piece units, more rigid IMO. I just looked at Stainless marine's website but I don't see the bracket I bought from them two years ago. 7" back 5" up 2 degree negative trim. The problem is also you may not be able to get the motor high enough with the jackplate alone. Your BRX is a different beast than mine though so I would say seeing as you already have it mounted leave it as a baseline and go from there. Did you happen to check with Checkmate about the Bob's plate? I read somewhere that they were having transom issues with Bob's plate's specifically on 24' Checkmate's. Something about chattering at high speed. Could be total BS but maybe worth a phone call.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2015, 7:20 am   

I run a "magnum" setback plate from hydrodynamics on my 2100 with a CMC hydraulic plate afterwards

This looks similar:

http://www.hydrodynamics-usa.com/