It is currently May 4th, 2024, 8:11 pm

My 1986 21' Eagle by Seebold O/B

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 11:19 pm   
Team Member

I love the sound of the V8's. Post some pics of the powerhead. Second Effort usually modified the heads and the jetting in the carbs. Your 1988 V8 would be the first year of the 4.0 litre block. As mentioned from Steve - Monty Racing in Florida has had the most success with building high performance V8's that I know of.

Look forward to see you on the water.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 9:00 am   

mistah_max wrote:
Blizz wrote:
There's one of these for sale over here in Quebec with a 2003 Evinrude 225 on it Same color scheme as yours.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-bateau/longueuil ... nFlag=true

I know that boat...the original owner ran it on lac simon QC. he had a 225 3l merc and went with the rude in the last few years he owned it.
great lake boat. not many of those around

make shure your omc case is pinned, run it high and see what it does. should be interresting!

That one with the rude is nice! My interior is just plain. no real accent colors just white vinyl with white piping. i also like the little hatch on the nose, mine just has 5 long pieces of teak. I've got some plans for mine that will really make it pop! First thing i want to do is powdercoat the two aluminum window supports black so they blend into the black windshield so it looks like a one-piece wrap around. I love how it rides on the water & the V8 always turns so many heads and sounds great screaming down the lake!

~ 21' Eagle by Seebold W/ 300hp Johnson V8 "Second Effort" Limited edition
~ 19' Baja BR-19 W/ 200GT Johnson V6 (Project boat)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 9:08 am   

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
2 blade prop, is that custom :mrgreen: welcome aboard those v8's sound neat.

no it's a 3 blade stainless, i think the one blade is in just the right spot for it to disappear in the picture. I love the way this V8 sounds, every time i fire it up it lets out this unique crack and everyone around stops what they are doing and comes over to look. ha ha i just look at them with a giant grin on my face :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 9:44 am   

Dougw wrote:
I love the sound of the V8's. Post some pics of the powerhead. Second Effort usually modified the heads and the jetting in the carbs. Your 1988 V8 would be the first year of the 4.0 litre block. As mentioned from Steve - Monty Racing in Florida has had the most success with building high performance V8's that I know of.

Hey Doug, here are a couple photos of the V8 without its gigantic cowl.

I had thought i had some pics of the heads but i guess not. i do know though that the heads are not the double plug heads.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 5:17 pm   
Team Member

Johnson for speed wrote:
Dougw wrote:

Hey Doug, here are a couple photos of the V8 without its gigantic cowl.

I had thought i had some pics of the heads but i guess not. i do know though that the heads are not the double plug heads.

Hey Jfs, the risk of posting pics on HPB is the numerous vultures hovering, scrutinizing for other carrion.
Bottom picture, I see several 70HP cowls on the shelf,...how many 56ci blocks you got layin around in crates/on shelves??
Bakaawww, bakaaww...I'll take a 56ci w large carbs.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 5:21 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I thought it would be LC that noticed that. Fresh meat for you slOMC guys lol

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 10:15 pm   
Team Member

For sure the velocity stacks have been added to your powerhead - 2 of them are missing? Can't see what heads are on your block. Here is a pic of my Second effort twin plug heads that came on my V8's. I also removed the VRO oil pumps and ran straight 50:1 mix. The issue with the V8 motors is their are 2 oil pumps that operate by vacuum. 1 oil pump feeds cyl 1-4 and the other oil pump feeds cyl 5-8. If one of those pumps is not mixing exactly the same then you will get uneven lubrication. By the time your vacuum warning buzzer goes off....if it still works it could be too late. I can see you are also running the factory power steering pump and OMC power steering. That power steering pump also robs some power and weighs at least 25 pounds.

Attachments:
motor pic.jpg
motor pic.jpg [ 77.48 KiB | Viewed 1231 times ]

12' tinny - 9.9 merc
 PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 11:59 pm   

Dougw wrote:
For sure the velocity stacks have been added to your powerhead - 2 of them are missing? Can't see what heads are on your block. Here is a pic of my Second effort twin plug heads that came on my V8's. I also removed the VRO oil pumps and ran straight 50:1 mix. The issue with the V8 motors is their are 2 oil pumps that operate by vacuum. 1 oil pump feeds cyl 1-4 and the other oil pump feeds cyl 5-8. If one of those pumps is not mixing exactly the same then you will get uneven lubrication. By the time your vacuum warning buzzer goes off....if it still works it could be too late. I can see you are also running the factory power steering pump and OMC power steering. That power steering pump also robs some power and weighs at least 25 pounds.

That's soo nice!! i've been looking for twin plug heads, mine only has single plug heads & i was also give a box full of spare parts when i got this boat, i have 3 different sets of heads and they are all single plug. do you notice a difference with the double plug?

The 2 VRO pumps were removed before it was rebuild and not replaced after the rebuild, I've also been running mix. I know about the lovely VRO pumps and their inherent problems of leaning out cylinders from previous johnson/evinrudes that I've had. It was also rebuilt just before I had received it, the seller had it completely rebuilt & only ran it a few times to break it in. The photo with the two stacks missing was because of me. when i first had it out i was having issues with the bottom two carbs flooding, so i took them off and cleaned them out, re-set the float bowls and it worked like a charm! I will be taking off the power steering pump next as i recently had a problem with it on my last ride out and the engine kept pinning itself to the one side because of the torque of the prop & i kept going in circles. so off it goes and Hydraulic steering comes into play!

Thank you very much for your help Doug! if you have any other interesting ideas for the V8 please let me know! I was also thinking of cutting off the bosses for the old air box that isn't there anymore. thoughts?

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 10:31 am   
Team Member

Johnson for speed wrote:
Dougw wrote:
i have 3 different sets of heads and they are all single plug. do you notice a difference with the double plug?

The double plug heads were 10 pound less compression ( 125 - 130) versus the the 300 XP single plug heads ( 135 -140). Not sure if the compression is different in a 3.6 litre versus 4.0 litre. I didn't notice a top end difference between the single vs double heads so I used the lower compression dual plug heads to make it easier on the powerheads pushing a large heavy hull. I found the most important trick to the V8 performance was getting the carburetor jetting correct and strong power voltage to the coils .

Don't use a primer bulb between your fuel tank and engine. It will get sucked closed at WOT. If you can remove the OMC fuel primer system and run Electric fuel pumps such as Holley red pumps it will be less troublesome @ WOT.

Good luck with all your set up. Let me know if you have any more questions.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 2:18 pm   
Team Member

Doug, show a few of your boat show pics. When your boat got almost as much attention as the playboy bunny boat, your problem was, no tits hanging off it.