It is currently June 29th, 2024, 12:26 am

Dok's Barge.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 5:04 pm   
Team Member

Those big 3.2 mercs are a pretty impressive piece. Serious numbers..... All you're missing is an inline chopper and you will likely be in the teens or more!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 5:39 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

THAT...is a great pic Ken...you are hanging it!

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 10:21 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

Thanks Doc... Did not want too highjack your post, just wanted to give you incentive too post up a big # with a few good shots. You have quite a bit more hp than mine, better centre of gravity with " the stubby" and more experience in a SRV. Soooo be careful and lay down a big # for us and not a internet # ;)

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 7:59 am   
Team Member

Ken... The 347 hp is at the crank... SO the power is about the same hp wise. You get a sporty with better gear ratio's and hydrodynamics.... Merc is light years ahead of Yamaha in gear cases. You will likely always have an advantage albeit slight. In my eyes anyways. The white SRV is a savage beast.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 8:56 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:
. You get a sporty with better gear ratio's and hydrodynamics.... Merc is light years ahead of Yamaha in gear cases.

I wouldnt call the 3liter sporty light years ahead of anything (except maybe your case :) ) lol. The HPDI case (in your words Mitchel) sure looks like a copy of a merc case and so far it seems to be working (handling wise and in efficiency) quite well. Even the ratio won't come into play...if I run Kens 34 the boat would run 117 before I'd run out of rpm...and...I'm convinced that the boat won't run those numbers (forever the speed pessimist...I know). Where Ken has a true advantage is that prop!

There is NO question that the white boat is a beast and Ken has the balls to run it AND race it....he even dragged me and Henry over to the boat at Gravenhurst just to show us the GPS lol (no more Internet speeds Ken...I promise lol). I know you've got this in mind but I will say that the short mid makes a HUGE difference on this boat. I didn't mind the handling with the 20" but I really notice the difference now.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 9:33 am   
Team Member

Richard... It looks like a CLE ----- an ancient merc case!!! lol. jk. I am thinking I need a Muskoka Rad HPDI case. (is the driveshaft different from the vmax case?)

The point I was trying to get across was that our phase motors really do not have a big power advantage.. And in some cases (pardon the pun) have some disadvantages.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 10:07 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:
Richard... It looks like a CLE ----- an ancient merc case!!! lol. jk. I am thinking I need a Muskoka Rad HPDI case. (is the driveshaft different from the vmax case?)

The point I was trying to get across was that our phase motors really do not have a big power advantage.. And in some cases (pardon the pun) have some disadvantages.

You are right on all accounts...The whole crank hp rating is total BS (I think DBR is the only guy that gives prop shaft hp...).

The HPDI drive shaft is shorter...because the case is shorter. So you would need an actual HPDI shaft/case OR a complete to start with. I do have a 20" vmax shaft if you want to convert yours back to a 20" to sell it. It's too bad our mids are different or you could run mine to see if it works....

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 1:26 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

muskoka rad is going to have a line up of hpdi lowers to low waterize by the sounds of how his is running....

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 1:52 pm   
Team Member

I'm running the same numbers he is... I bought a motor who's case has a skeg made of butter. Apparently it's legit that a skeg will crack during a 5 min. test run.. But lived for 8 years on a tunnell boat with no problems. :shock:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 2:26 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Sounds like a Strong chunk of butter to last 5 mins..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next